git quirk

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 3 10:16:25 UTC 2018

I made a fresh clone, fixed my .git/config, made the edit, commit-ed it, and
tried to push.  It didn't work.

My "fixup" to .git/config ends up with:
[remote "origin"]
        url = git at gitlab.com:NTPsec/ntpsec.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        push = +refs/notes/commits:refs/notes/commits
        fetch = +refs/notes/commits:refs/notes/commits
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
        rebase=true

The problem went away when I commented out the push line.

I'm guessing the space between the = and + is causing problems.  But I've
broken my test case.

I added that as part of making Notes work (after a typo in a commit comment).
I thought I cut/pasted that chunk, but what I really cut/pasted was:
   git config --add remote.origin.push \
       '+refs/notes/commits:refs/notes/commits'
   git config --add remote.origin.fetch \
       '+refs/notes/commits:refs/notes/commits'