Fix for Python library path problem

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Sep 29 02:33:27 UTC 2017

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 19:25:06 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Interestingly enough, this last paragraph is both completely
> irrelevant to the issue at hand, and simultaneously gets to the crux
> of the matter. :-)

Always my intention .

> The whole issue being discussed here is the install location for
> *Python libraries*.  Nothing else.

Clearly we are in parallel universes.

I was pretty sure that everyone agreed that today's installation
locations were agreeble to everyone.

If not, then please be specific on how today's default differs
from your desired location.

And /usr/lib is NOT an option if ntpd is in /usr/local/bin/

>  Since the classic NTP package
> doesn't use Python at all, a conflict in this area is impossible.

And totally unrelated to anything I've said.  So why do you bring it up?

> *However*, once distros start including ntpsec instead of classic
> ntpd, this sort of conflict will become possible, and FHS compliance
> will matter.

Already happened.  So, we agree, FHS compliance, to keep system
and local copies apart is a valid goal?

> > Before someone rewrites get_python_lib() we better agree on what it
> > should do.  I suspect the solution will require much more than just
> > changes to get_python_lib().
>
> Agreed.

Good.  Next?