Fix for Python library path problem

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Sep 27 22:27:35 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:40:56 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > Yo Eric!
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:21:23 -0400

> > > You seem to be the odd person out.  We now have confirmation of my
> > > rule (/usr/lib/X/Y in sys.path implies /usr/local/lib/X/Y in
> > > sys.path) from Gentoo and two versions of CentOS, as well as my
> > > Ubuntu 16 and Raspbian systems.
> >
> > Uh, no.  Not on my Gentoo, and not on CentOS.
>
> I thought you just told me the opposite,

Sorry if I was not clear the first time.

> and I *know* Jason did.

I sugggest you reconfirm with him.

Re-reading the emails I see a bunch of double negatives going around.

> Jason Azze via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > I checked CentOS 6.9 and CentOS 7.3 and, after I figured out I had
> > to import sys, I can confirm that the second expression comes back
> > empty.
>
> If Gentoo doesn't obey that rule,

Uh, what rule?

> how did your FHS-compliant
> installations ever work before Fred's patch?

Well, I sorta hate to bring it up, but since you asked: PYTHONPATH.

Until yesterday, the PYTHONPATH stuff was well documented and had
matching error messages to guide users in fixing their systems.

Once again, I'd like to go beyond PYTHONGPATH, but you asked.

Once again, I think pip has the answer: edit the sys.path.