Python Library Cleanups

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Sep 27 02:59:32 UTC 2017

Matthew Selsky via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Eric, didn't you file a ticket with waf (https://github.com/waf-project/waf/issues/1897) for this same issue in January 2017?

That's clearly the same functional issue, but at the time I did not yet have
any idea that waf itself was (even partly) the victim of an upstream bug.

As I told ita then, I didn't have enough knowledge to generate a fix
patch.  I still do not.

> Also, waf chose not to use a directory in sys.path in commit https://github.com/waf-project/waf/commit/588f809ffa4dd514ea90bdcd0341d9baf508784f
>
> See https://github.com/waf-project/waf/pull/1554 for more background.
>
> We could revert that commit in our local waf copy, or we maybe modify the internals in our wscript file...

And the rabbit-hole would get deeper.  We might end up doing this, but the
thought frightens me.