Python 3 and 1.0

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:03:45 UTC 2017

On 09/26/2017 05:53 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> Yo Ian!
>
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:40:52 -0500
> Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
>> Under these circumstances I strongly suggest that there be a note in
>> the README to the effect that python 3 compatibility is not
>> guaranteed.
> I have been occasionally testing on Python 3.4.  Gentoo is still on Python
> 2.7, so mostly I stay on 2.7.  I'm also waiting for the rest of
> Python 2.7 to get forward ported to Python 3.x.  :-)

Whoop! That is better news than I had hoped. The quirks with the module
installation have always made me less than confident with anything on
the Py3 side of things. And the lack of bug reports could have just as
easily been no one using it as there not being a problem.

Hindsight: should have asked if anyone was using it.

> I just did some quick tests, and I see only one issue.  Do you have any
> specific issues worth looking at?

ntpq run in Py3 or 3.6 does not like the unicode in the units display.
ntpmon same version is just fine with it.

Beyond that not specific, I just fixed a bunch of tests to work with Py3
and uncovered bugs in the process, then today found a bug the tests
didn't catch. Simply less trust in the code than I'd like.

> This does not work well with Python 3.4:
>
>      ntpq -u -p
>
> I'll push a patch shortly.

Ack.

--
In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power?
No. A Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys. -- Andrew Ryan