Python Library Cleanups

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Sep 26 23:01:26 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:55:31 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > > Does this means the FHS nonconformance isc an upstream bug?
> >
> > Exactly.  And one that nobody bothered to complain about for GPSD.
>
> Well, *that* changes things a lot.
>
> 2. Gary files a bug upstream to the Python devs detailing how
> get_python_lib() is implicated in FHS nonconformance. Gary, you
> willing?

I'm feeling like a broken record.  The current behavior is a feature,
not a bug.  You know I love to bash Python, but in this case they
got it right.

If the user is installing code from source, then it should not
be executable by default.  For the same reason /usr/local/bin is
not in the standard PATH, the /usr/local/lib/pythonx.x/ is not
in the PYTHONPATH.

If you are gonna file a bug on PYTHONPATH, you gotta file one on
PATH.  Just don't put my name on it.

And I still feel there is a middle ground here that might work, but it
is not immediately obvious.