Python 3 and 1.0

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:42:49 UTC 2017

On 09/26/2017 05:28 PM, Fred Wright via devel wrote:
> [error snipped]
> I have no idea whether this affects anything real or whether it's just a
> test artifact.  If the latter, it's clearly not a release blocker.

This error does not effect the program itself. It is part of a test jig
which is spliced into the code when necessary.

> Yeah, I'm familiar with that document. :-) The point is that one should
> try to understand what's going on and type things consistently, rather
> than just ramdomly converting all over the place.  And since the Python
> ntpq is a *new* program, it has less excuse for getting this wrong.

Well there it gets tricky... ntpq is not strictly a new program: it was
translated from C, and bears the scars of that. As the tests get better
it will be easier to refactor. Also, these problems are concentrated not
in ntpq, but packet.py.

--
In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power?
No. A Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys. -- Andrew Ryan