Python Library Cleanups

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Sep 26 22:09:06 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Locally installed user source is supposed to go in /usr/local/.
>
> System packages are supposed to go in /usr/
>
> Not obeying the 30 year old convention of wchich to pick is bad.  But
> the new patches put some in /usr and some in /usr/local/which is just
> wrong.
>
> This is all per the HFS.
>
> There may be other ways around the PYTHONPATH issues,, but breaking the
> FHS is a bad one.

Gary, nobody broke FHS conformance deliberately and everybody wants conformance
fixed, so please don't be truculent about this.

Based on having looked at the code, I'm at this point leaning towards the theory
that *Python* is getting this wrong and Fred's patches unmasked an upstream bug
rather than crearting one in our build.

The first thing we need to determine is whether that's true.