All hands - we need to test Fred's build changes pronto

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Sep 26 18:15:06 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 05:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Please, everybody get on the stick and test on every platform you can
> reach. We need to know that, *without* a PYTHONPATH set,
>
> 1. Build works.

Sort of.

> 2. ntpq and friends are able to see the Python libraries.

Yes, but they libs are in the wrong place.  Putting them in
/usr/liv/python2.7/site-packaes violates the FHS.

> 3. ntpd passes a smoke test

Why?  ntpd does not use PYTHONPATH?

> And we need to know it fast.  Release is on the 28th, in two days.

I say revert now.  It violates existing prative and the FHS.

> Please check in on this list as you verify that your platform is OK.

No FHS platform is OK with this.  It plainly violates the standard.