All hands - we need to test Fred's build changes pronto

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Sep 26 09:35:36 UTC 2017

I previously turned down merging Fred Wright's PYTHONPATH-elimination
change as a potential destabilizer, but then heard from Hal that
Fedora and FreeBSD actually *do* have the problem it addresses.  (I've
never seen it under Ubuntu, which is why I didn't know.)

Given that, we're out of happy choices.  I've merged Fred's patch set.
It passes on the GitLab buildbots, which is good news. Fred is a
careful and reliable person, which decreases my worries some. Still,
this is a bad thing to have land on us two days before 1.0.

Please, everybody get on the stick and test on every platform you can
reach. We need to know that, *without* a PYTHONPATH set,

1. Build works.

2. ntpq and friends are able to see the Python libraries.

3. ntpd passes a smoke test

And we need to know it fast.  Release is on the 28th, in two days.

Sigh.  Everything was going so smoothly...

Please check in on this list as you verify that your platform is OK.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the
people who didn't do it.    -- William S. Burroughs
Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.