Python Library Cleanups

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Sep 26 09:05:16 UTC 2017

> > And I would so regard it if [setting PYTHONPATH] were ever required on
> > Linux or FreeBSD. I have had no report of this.
>
> It's required on Fedora.  I set it up ages ago.  I think that was the
>
> I get the same on FreeBSD.

Well, shit.  That changes things.

Now we have to fix this.  The only question is how long to delay the release.

> Should ntpq be able to print its version string without any libraries?

That'd be nice, but one feature of the current organization is that there's
a version-reporting function all the Python code can share.

Patching around that problem by duplicating that function would treat
a symptom. I'd rather fix the underlying problem.