Apparent protocol-machine bug, new top priority

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Sep 25 05:47:05 UTC 2017

Fred Wright via devel writes:
> I presume "packages" was meant to be "packets".

Yes, but since I was packaging a few hundred Perl modules for Cygwin at
the time, my mind wandered off and that one slipped through.

>> I'll try to reproduce on my RPis.
>
> Is there some kind of stress-test program that can be used to induce this
> kind of problem?

Not that I know of.  I currently have four local servers that monitor
each other at poll=4 (16s).  As said before, it does happen with the
external servers from time to time also, but it hasn't happened since
the last update.

> Can the failure rate be increased by changing the governor settings to
> make the server slower?  On the Pi that would significantly worsen the
> time accuracy, but for the purposes of this experiment that should be
> acceptable.

You mean dropping the CPU frequency?  That's maybe worth a shot, but I
run the rasPi 3B at 600MHz currently for thermal stability and don't see
any problems there.  I still think it is rather contention at the NIC
that triggers the behaviour, but the real problem is that there is no
recovery happening.  So maybe just testing the rate limiting branch
directly with test packets would hreveal what's going on, but I don't
know if there's a facility to produce them.

Regards,
Achim.