Apparent protocol-machine bug, new top priority

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Sep 24 16:54:28 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> Now that iburst has been fixed - and Achim reports seeing this problem
> with iburst off - this pretty much has to be an issue deeper in the
> protocol machine.  (I guess we should count our blessings and
> congratulate Daniel that there haven't more of these since the big
> refactor.)

I have gathered more observations: it is almost always the rasPi 1B+
that kicks out its local clients and it seems to happen more often while
it's busy with other stuff, so I think it somehow has to do with the
speed of the NTP packets relative to the processing capabilities.
Whether that happens because packages are retried (and then kicking off
the rate-limiting) or packages getting the wrong source attached I don't
know.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: