Default config file behavior - request for comment

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 20:48:08 UTC 2017

Achim is right, the ToS and documentation for pool.ntp.org forbids vendors
from using pool.ntp.org as a default or a hardcoded entry.

I have submitted an application for a vendor pool named ntpsec.pool.ntp.org

In the meantime, our hardcoded default should be #1 "locked down do
nothing", and our reference example configuration should refer to
ntpsec.pool.ntp.org, and hopefully NTPsec emits sane error messages if it's
started before that DNS entry is created.

Thank you for your feedback Achim.  You helped us avoid a misstep there.

..m

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> > I think the global pool name is a special case here.  Why are they
> advertising
> > that service if not to be used in exactly this way?
>
> No, I think their rule (and no, you don't get to redefine it) is that if
> you wanted to have a hardcoded/default pool association you'd have to
> ask them for an ntpsec pool.  That might be a possibility, but probably
> not an immediate one.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

Mark Atwood
http://about.me/markatwood
+1-206-604-2198 Mobile & Signal