NetBSD 6.1.5 doesn't have ldexpl in math.h

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Sep 18 10:27:01 UTC 2017

>> POSIX defines ways to access the clock, but only the simple functions like
>> reading and setting the clock.  It doesn't cover how to slew the clock or
>> tweak the clock speed (drift) - things like ntp_adjtime or adjtime(x).
> That is correct, but not relevant to the discussion of whether to keep
> NetBSD 6 and old Mac OS X around.  They have to have those primitives or we
> couldn't have had them in the discussion at all.

I think there are two branches to this discussion:
  Does an OS have something like ntp_adjtime?
  Is it "standard" enough?

I don't know what's in Mac OS.

NetBSD doesn't have adjtimex.  It does have ntp_adjtime.

OpenBSD doesn't have either.  (ntpsec runs there)
It doesn't have clock_settime either.
HAVE_KERNEL_PLL is not defined.
There is a disable_kernel_pll option.  It should help test the "other" branch.

So I expect Mac OS to work if it has the standard non-slew ways to read/write
the clock.

I think the current slew-mode code requires either ntp_adjtime or adjtime and
is clean about using them.
include/ntp_syscall.h says:
/* MUSL port shim */
#if !defined(HAVE_NTP_ADJTIME) && defined(HAVE_ADJTIMEX)
#define ntp_adjtime adjtimex
#endif
That's the only reference in ntpd.  (There are other uses in ntpfrob)

So if you are saying that if the kernel has slew mode it has to call it
ntp_adjtime or adjtime, that's OK, I guess, but not part of POSIX.

Has anybody tested our code with MUSL?