NetBSD 6.1.5 doesn't have ldexpl in math.h

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Sep 15 17:56:06 UTC 2017

> [Subject says NetBSD, but context has drifted to MacOS]
> > That said, I'm going to push - not hard, not hill-to-die-on, just moderately
> > - for remaining strict about our C99 conformance policy and culling old
> > releases/minor platforms that can't meet it.
>
> We aren't discussing C99 but rather the non-standardize way of playing with
> the clock.

I thought Net BSD 6 wa in the discussion too.  But if you're only talking about
OS X, you're only talking about OS X.

> I know of two ways to handle that sort of problem.  One is to use ifdefs like
> the current code.  Being hard-nosed about C99 helps keep that sort of code
> clean.
>
> The other way is to have a separate module for each OS and link in the right
> one.  That only works if you have a clean API for what the module has to do.
> The downside is that you usually have a lot of duplicated code, and if you
> make a change/fix in one place, you have to go check the other places, and
> remember to do it.

The Mac OS X shim is not too bad that way.  It can be confined to
libntp/clockwork.c.

> By the way, "HAVE_KERNEL_PLL" is a horrible name.  There is no PLL involved.
> There are two features we want.  One is to be able to slew the clock.  The
> other is to tweak the clock frequency, aka drift.

Yeah, you should fix that today before I declare code freeze.  Which
will probably be about 5PM Eastern.  I'm sure you'll choose well.