NetBSD 6.1.5 doesn't have ldexpl in math.h

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 16:30:07 UTC 2017

On 09/14/2017 11:46 PM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> A fair point.  But...on the other hand, a major platform.  Not by our
> criterion, which is more or less "Are flocks of these going to be
> running in $J_RANDOM_HUMONGOUS_DATACENTER?"  Part of our strategy is
> to optimize for the toughest, highest-end users on the newest
> hardware.  Classic can keep the hobbyists, we're after the people who
> can and sometimes actually do write big donation checks.  We want them
> to trust us and love us and give us money and lend us engineers.

As I understood it part of the rationale for NTPsec was the yawning
security chasms in NTPclassic. Shouldn't wide adoption therefore be
highly desirable?

Possible answer: Aunt Tillie is not going to hunt down NTPsec and
install it, we can't get any real foothold in the diffuse installed
base. But NTPsec *can* get into new OS releases and big server farms.

> Your attribution to Bruce suggests that you don't know where he picked up the
> term, and you are obviously the kind of person who likes to know such things.
> So, "Externality" is a term of art in economics:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality

@Fred Wright

Along this line of thought you should look up Coase's Therom; there is a
tremendous amount of generative value in understanding it.

--
In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power?
No. A Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys. -- Andrew Ryan