NetBSD 6.1.5 doesn't have ldexpl in math.h

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Sep 13 20:17:51 UTC 2017

Mark Atwood via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> NetBSD6 still supported, so it's still running in the wild.
>
> I know we've been removed most compatibility shims, but are they all gone?
>   or do we still have a chunk of "if this OS, then define these missing
> functions"?

I think the last OS-related shim where we define substitute code is gone.
It was the kludge for pre-10.12 Mac OS X, which turned out not to work because
(a) in some versions the system headers didn't match the docs, and (b) we got
a report that in some versions the set-time primitive doesn't work.

We still some compatibilty shims of a more suerficial kind, supplying things
like strlcpy and friends if the native C library doesn't have them.

We also have some code that is conditionally disabled if the native OS's
features don't support it. This is true notably in the sandboxing code,
where privileges are dropped at startup.