Where to python libraries get installed?

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Sun Oct 8 03:14:48 UTC 2017

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017, Hal Murray wrote:

> > No, if "storing" includes the code that may clean up old library installs.
>
> Ahh...  Thanks.  That brings up a question I've been wondering about for ages.
>
> What sort of cleanup does waf install do?  Is that documented anyplace?

I don't think install cleans up anything at all.  Uninstall removes files
that would be installed by the *current* code, which of course may leave
stuff around if the location or set of files changes.  There's no general
solution to this, but I added some temporary code to clean up the old
(prior to FixConfig) Python library install location when it differs from
the current location.  That's in a separate commit so that it can be
reverted later.  And it was never designed to handle more than two
possibilities. :-)

In some cases, a packaging system may keep track of what was installed and
properly remove it at uninstall time, but waf itself has no database to
track what was installed by previous versions of the scripts.

Fred Wright