Resolution of the library-path mess

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Oct 7 19:20:41 UTC 2017

Yo Fred!

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > Having a PYTHONPATH setup could be leftover from when ntpsec needed
> > it, or it could be setup because some other package needs it.
>
> Most likely the former, since reasonable packages don't require
> PYTHONPATH. :-)

Duh.  That because 'packages' are system things, and thus, byt the FHS,
go in the system directories.  We are very much talking about things
that are NOT packages, but instead user installed code.

> Makes sense.  Fedora is one of the systems where Python doesn't
> include a "local" directory in the sys.path setup by default.

Of course, no system following the FHS is supposed to have/usr/local
in the sys,path.  That is the FHS again.