Resolution of the library-path mess

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Fri Oct 6 03:20:36 UTC 2017

On 10/5/17 6:23 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> Yo Fred!
>
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 14:10:24 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
>> Exists?		In sys.path?	Usable?
>> -------		------------	-------
>> No     		No          	Unknown
>> No     		Yes		Yes, but this can't happen (*)
>> Yes    		No		No
>> Yes    		Yes		Yes
>
> Uh, I disagree on the 3rd case (Yes, No).  I install, then add my
> dir to PYTHONPATH.
>
> I guess we could document that: for people that want to be HFS
> conformant, add PYTHONPATH before doing the install.

I alredy suggested that, but it has been ignored. Let's try again.

If you want to install in /usr/local or wherever else:

python3 -m venv --system-site-packages --without-pip /usr/local/
waf configure --python=/usr/local/bin/python3

and all should work (assuming that waf does the right thing when a
python interpreter is specified at configure time, ie replace the right
executable on the shebang of the installed scripts).

Cheers,
Daniele