Resolution of the library-path mess

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Mon Oct 2 06:14:55 UTC 2017

On 01/10/17 22:28, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Daniele Nicolodi via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I may be suggesting the obvious, but has anyone contacted the folks on
>> the Python Distutils mailing list
>> https://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/distutils-sig/ for their
>> advise?  I'm surprised NTPSec it the first project facing those problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniele
>
> One of the things still on the todo list *is* filing an upstream bug
> about this.

I'm not sure a bug report is the way to go.  Despite that, contacting
the Python folks may help in deciding how to handle this.  I think
obeying the principle of less surprise and do what other projects do
would be the best option here.

Thinking a bit more about it, I think that autotools projects usually
have a --with-python=<path to python interpreter> configure option that
tells the install machinery which python interpreter the admin wishes to
use to run the script or for which interpreter the modules should be
available. Given that, the python install path is fixed.

Cheers,
Daniele