Resolution of the library-path mess

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Oct 2 01:25:15 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Sun,  1 Oct 2017 15:46:46 -0400 (EDT)
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> However there is good news for Gary and anybody else who is really
> worried about FHS compilance.  While we cannot *guarantee* being able
> to do that, it was trivial to change the installation code so that if
> the FHS-compliant /usr/$PREFIX directory corresponding to the return
> value of python_lib() *already exists* (and can therefore be presumed
> to be scanned by the Python library loader) it is used.

I not so much concerned about FHS compliance as in not stepping on
system installed copies of NTPsec.  This is a small problem for gpsd,
and as systems install their own copies of NTPsec this will become
a bigger problem for NTPsec.

If you install in /usr/$PREFIX, and I assume $PREFIX is "lib/pyrhonXX",
then you will be installing on the system copy.

How do you plan that a local NTPsec install from source does not
overwite an NTPsec install from the native OS repositories?