What's the story on day/year from refclocks?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Oct 1 23:29:19 UTC 2017

>>> There's magic code in the NMEA driver
>> Maybe we should have a flag..
> I'm opposed to adding flags until an actual need is demonstrated.  If we're
> going to add test and documentation complexity, it should be because we know
> we have to do it.

I agree with the philosophy, but I'll withhold final judgment until somebody
figures out what is actually going on.

Fixups based on the build date are (relatively) easy to understand and
explain.

Fixups based on file system dates work fine as long as everything is working
fine.  But what happens if, somehow, the file system date jumps to the
future?  Explaining that won't be fun.  What happens if the box sits on the
shelf for several years?

Beware of hidden state.  The HP driver worked until restart after the GPS
rollover.  (I remember getting confused until I looked at the clockstats.)
That was before you fixed it to take advantage of 4 digit years.  Now it
correctly requires a 20 year fudge.  (I haven't figured out how to set the
GPS date on that box.)