u-blox Stationary Mode

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Nov 13 20:37:36 UTC 2017

Richard Laager via devel writes:
> On 11/12/2017 07:15 AM, Achim Gratz via devel wrote:
>> It can also be horrible if you have a poor antenna placement and lots
>> of multipath reception.
>
> How does stationary mode make this worse? (I'm not disagreeing. I'm
> looking to understand.)

If you mainly see the satellites' reflections you may get a "fix" that
has a position that deviates significantly from the ground truth, which
in turn makes your time solution wrong.  As I'm reading the description
in the firmware, the occurence of such solutions should be minimized by
discarding solutions that show your position moving (too fast), but
since your position is still an unknown to be solved for you could end
up with a wrong one nevertheless.

>> There's also the implication that you actually
>> have a known-good surveyed position available and locked into the GPS
>> for it to be useful.
>
> I didn't do anything special, and it still seems to work. How would one
> lock in the position?

That only works on designated timing receivers, AFAIK.

Regards,
Achim.