Getting things moving again

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Fri Nov 10 00:40:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:

> * Fred and Gary need to have, and resolve, their argument about what to
>   do to the build recipe around Python library installation.  For
>   concreteness, this should probably start with a proposed patch from
>   Fred.

My existing patch has nothing to do with addressing the FHS issue.  It's
just a simpler and more correct implementation of the *current* policy.  I
also just added a fix for the problem Hal reported, where an existing
PYTHONPATH definition was affecting the result.

Fixing the FHS issue requires further study.

> * There are couple of Mac-support merge requests pending from
>   Fred. Whether to take them is not a technical question but a
>   policy one, how hardnosed we're going to be abour our C99/POSIX
>   baseline.  In view of our adoption strategy, are older versions
>   if Mac OS X important enough to make an exception?  Discuss;
>   once the pros and cons have been laid out we'll want a ukase
>   from Mark.

One of those MRs is just a subset of the other.  But I plan to redo the
Mac patches anyway, so I just closed the existing MRs.

Fred Wright