?c2go

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Nov 8 21:32:52 UTC 2017

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> eric said:
> > Do you have any suggestions about a test target?  I've been giving that some
> > thought, and it's not easy to come up with anything that I think has close
> > to the same near-realtime constraints as ntpd.
>
> How about the simple ntpd server I suggested a few days ago?
>
> Even if you can't get all the data from the kernel, you can fake the parts
> you can't get and use it as a platform for measuring performance.

I still don't understand that suggestion at all.  Would it be implementing the
Byzantine time=sync algorithms? If so, howe is it simple?

I guess I need to see something more like a functional spec for your concept.
It sounds like you might have something interesting in mind, but I am
completely failing to follow your thinking.