Is it time to plan a move to Go?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 5 02:45:00 UTC 2017

>>> libntp
>> Why do we need a python extension?  Can't we convert ntpclients to Go?
> Yeah, that'd be be kind of a mess.   ...

Then we leave that chunk of libntp available for Python.  It won't be very
big.

>> Maybe that would be a good time to split the refclocks out to separate
>> programs.
> Wouldn't make the problem go away.  Whether they're inline of ntpd or
> separated, either they have to be translated to Go or C persists in the
> language mix.

It means we don't have to port that code to Go.  I'd be happy to drop
refclocks on the first cut and develop the new/wonderful refclock interface
in Go rather than c.

The refclock code would be running in a separate address space so bugs in a
refclock don't pollute the main ntpd.