Dumping long double

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Nov 4 23:22:53 UTC 2017

> devel at ntpsec.org said:
> > I thought that was still under some discussion when we shipped.  Remind me
> > what the patch was?
>
> I got the impression that you pretty much vetoed it and/or weren't interested
> in more discussion.  I could easily have misread whatever you said.
>
> I think we should dump long double.
>
> ----------
>
> ldexpl doesn't work in older NetBSD.
>
> < #ifndef ldexpl
> <   /* Missing in NetBSD 6.1.5 */
> <   #define ldexpl ldexp
> < #endif

Oh, now I remember.  No it wasn't dismissing NetBSD 6 that made ne not want
to go there, I don't think.  Dropping long double opened a can of worms
about overflow/precision problems and how to redo the pivot logic that
I didn't want to broach while were trying to avoid destabilizing changes.

Now would be a reasonable time to repen discussion of that cluster of
issues.