Mac OS X patches (Was: Re: Getting things moving again)

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Nov 4 22:41:05 UTC 2017

Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com>:
> I'm inclined to say yes to the MacOS patches, but I want to hear the
> discussion, and read the patches myself.

I'm inclined to say no, though it's not a hill I'd die on.  (1) I want to
stand strong about platform standandards conformance lest we get nibbled
to death by ducks, and (2) given our adoption strategy I just don't think
worrying overmuch about the Mac makes a lot of sense.

Remember, without this patches we still have support for the *current* Mac
OS X, just not far back into older ones.  I think that is a sufficient
gesture for our purposes.

The patches are in the merge request queue and can be read through the
GitLab GUI.

Opinions of other solicited.