State of the debugging flags.

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue May 30 21:51:49 UTC 2017

Yo Ian!

On Tue, 30 May 2017 16:34:07 -0500
Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Every instance I've seen has the logging code enclosed in an #ifdef
> block for the debug compilation switch, whether directly where it is
> used, of inside of a macro. It would appear that someone began to
> replace the explicit if debugs with macros,

That might be a good place for you to start.  You make a few simple
decisions, then replace old code a few files at a time, with the
single, new, one true, macro.

> but never completed it
> for unknown reasons.

Once you start, you'll know why.  The code is a lot easier to deal with
now, but it will still be a ton of little changes to the ton of slightly
different peices of old code.  So you need to actually look, and think
about, each change.  I'd start with one mental template, change all
those instances, then go on the next.  That way you only need to think
for each template, then cut/paste for an hour.

YMMC.