waf, git, EPOCH, version strings, ...

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue May 23 21:31:02 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 23 May 2017 13:56:07 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> configure sets up NTPSEC_VERSION_STRING
> >> ntptime is the only useage.
> > Seems like a different issue than detecting an old or unusable
> > configure. Do you propose a tie-in?
>
> Only that the version and EPOCH stuff are currently tangled up with
> configure and I think we want to disconnect that.

I don't see how that can be done.

> Can we pass the EPOCH via something like -DEPOCH=xxx on the command
> line?

Yes.  Did you check waf -h?

# ./waf -h
[...]
  NTP developer configure options:
    [...]
    --build-epoch=BUILD_EPOCH
                        Force epoch, or use SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH in environment

> >> I'd like the version string to indicate that I'm running something
> >> built with local edits that haven't been committed yet.
> >Yes, that has been requested before, we just have not come up with a
> >solution yet.  We need a way to tell if any source files are
> >changes.
>
> I'm willing to delete ntpd.o so it gets rebuilt and picks up a new
> EPOCH.  That's assuming we get EPOCH out of config.h and EPOCH is
> used for the version string.  (I put the delete step in a script.)

Except BUILD_EPOCH is not in ntpd.o.

> > Not very complicated yet.  Maybe we should ship a default
> > "install.sh" that does all that needs to be done.
>
> "install" seems like a bad choice.  I don't want it to include the
> install step.  I might want to poke around a bit first.  How about
> update.sh?  It would do a git pull, then rm -r build or git distclean
> or whatever.

Chicken and egg thing, you don't have update.sh unless you have already
got some source code.

Im open to suggestions, but install.sh seems to be pretty standard.

> It may be better to not actually include that file.  That makes it
> hard to customize.  Maybe ship it without execute permissions and/or
> with a hard to type name, suggesting that it be copied over to
> something that can be customized.

THe problem is that if we don't ship it, then users have to RTFM, and we
know they don't.