Unknown variable. Trying one at a time.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri May 19 19:28:06 UTC 2017

> What does this mean, when did it start, and why?
>    Unknown variable.  Trying one at a time.

I think I added that a long time ago.  (several/many months)

The idea is backward compatibility with older versions of ntpd after we added
something to one of the commands that prints a cluster of info.

If I remember correctly...

The first try says "send me info for A, B, C, D, and ..." in one packet.
It gets back an error saying "unknown variable".  It doesn't tell you which
ones are (in)valid.
So then it goes into a loop asking for variables one per packet.