ntpsec | "ntpq -c ifstats" asking for a keyid (#298)

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue May 9 19:06:46 UTC 2017

Hal Murray via devel writes:
>> Restricting configuration to the localhost interface by default might be a
>> saner approach.
>
> Mostly, I was looking for something that was simple and clean.  Low tech.
>
> Suppose you were running a bank,  How often would you change your config file?

Is that a trick question?  If I was running a network where time was
something really critical, then I'd have a bunch of redundant, dedicated
time servers and additional monitoring to shoot them through the head at
the slightest indication of misbehaviour.

The more likely audience is folks that have ntpd running on some server
that _also_ serves time in addition to some other duties.

> On the other hand, if something goes wrong, being able to fiddle with the
> config could help debug things and/or restore service.

I have changed configurations on the fly when setting up a new server to
tune some variables and to weed out pool servers that I didn't like.
Being able to switch extra logging on or off would also be quite welcome
in many situations.

Regards,
Achim.