Wildcard-socket simplification hits a wall

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Mar 31 23:08:08 UTC 2017

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > The problem is not with the code simplification itself.  The problem is that
> > there is a configuration feature called "NIC rules" that depends on knowing
> > what actual physical interface a packet arrived on.
>
> Where is that described?
> (grep -i "nic rules" . -r doesn't find anything other than comments in the
> code and ChangeLog.)

Documentation on it is scanty; you can find it in the description of the
ntp.conf configuration language, but only if you sort of know what you're
looking for.

The config command is 'nic' or 'interface', they're synonymous.  It must be
followed by one of the three verbs 'listen', 'drop', or 'ignore', then
either an address mask or symbolic interface name like eth0.  Ordered lists
of these compose the way restrict commands do.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.