Wildcard-socket simplification hits a wall

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Mar 31 21:15:09 UTC 2017

Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com>:
> > running a single instance in a VM for the pool.
>
> This feature would be a misfeature in a VM, as MACs and interface ID's are
> particularly fluid in VMs.  And if someone is running ntpd in a VM and want
> to protect it in depth, they will use the hypervisor's network access
> control table.

I think it would be a mistake to dismiss this feature (filtering by interface
name) on the sole grounds that it doesn't play well with this week's hotness

Not everybody runs this week's hotness.  I'm quite concerned  about old, stable
installations where the systems integration has already been done and they
run using an ntp.conf from the late Jurassic.  If our stuff doesn't drop in
and Just Work, we'll be breaking the promise we've been making in our PR.

I'd be less twitchy about this, but...we've got Harlan giving interviews where
he accuses us of removing good code for no reason.  I'd prefer we not come
any closer to making him right.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.