Wildcard-socket simplification hits a wall

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Mar 31 20:42:10 UTC 2017

Yo Mark!

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:06:32 +0000
Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm inclined to say drop the feature.

Me too, but only as a me too.  Don't blame me!

> Yes defense in depth is good, but I think it doesn't really count in
> this case.  If a network admin is defending their NTP in depth, they
> will do it in (in order), the local kernel table, the local switch,
> the ingress switch, on the ISP side on the other side of the link to
> the ingress switch, and in their ISP's connection to their transit
> providers.

Now you are thinking big boy toys, a lot of small guys run ntpd.  Think
of Hal running a single instance in a VM for the pool.

But then, Hal would not be using this feature...

> The feature also feels very "brittle" to me, from an admin POV.  How
> many netadmins are going to remember to update the setting when they
> change anything about the local interface topology, or in the local
> hypervisor or container topology.

Yeah, I've been bitten by that.  Especially when Gentoo changed ethernet
intertfaces names a while back.

> And yes, can someone Not Me ask on the NTP list?

I just asked on questions at ntp.org.  Did not seem like a hackers at ntp.org
thing.