Is it easy/possible to run code with 32 bit pointers on a modern 64 bit OS?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 27 00:39:05 UTC 2017

aac at comcast.net said:
> Did you check out Linux' "X32 ABI" support?
> https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/

Thanks.  That seems to be what I was looking for.

It's not in the Fedora kernels but is in Debian.  I'll poke around more.

I guess I'm slightly surprised that there isn't more interest in that area.
Aside from memory usage, it also uses cache space which turns into general
performance.  So any program with a lot of pointers would probably speed up.
I guess there aren't many programs that both fit in 32 bits and are
performance critical and use a lot of pointers.