Is it easy/possible to run code with 32 bit pointers on a modern 64 bit OS?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Mar 26 05:24:55 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:19:50 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> If so, how do I do it?

That would be distro specific.  gentoo easily runs 64 bit and 32 bit
binaries on the same 64 bit kernel.  But I don't think you run gentoo
and the precedure will be very distro specific.

> The idea is to save space in data structures if you know you won't
> need more than a total of a few GB of VM.

So, when was the last time you were short of memory?

> It saves 18% in the MRU slots.

On my RasPi my ntpd is taking 0.4% of my ram.  18% does not even get me down
to 0.3%...