l_fp, time, calendar

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 25 21:47:36 UTC 2017

Stromeko at nexgo.de said:
> There should be no need to convert an l_fp timestamp into a double anywhere
> you need the full precision of the whole + fractional part.  If there is,
> then the whole seconds need to be split before you do whatever needs doing.

Yup.

The problem area I was interested in was printing a l_fp that came from a
packet.  Converting to a python time (aka double) gets all the python library
software but mangles the bottom bits.  Most of the time those bottom bits are
not important but I don't want to paint ourselves into a corner in case we
come up with a case where they are.

I agree that a double is OK if we can do a subtract and only need enough bits
for a useful difference.