More desk clutter... :-)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 23 21:24:25 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
> Which, paradxically, is why GigE is usually better than 100Base-T.  At the
> same total amount of data per second the latency could be cut by a factor of
> ten.

> And less latency would hopefully lead to less jitter.

Reducing the latency has no direct impact on the jitter.

There is a second order effect that depends on the network loading.  If there
is other traffic on the parts of the network used by your NTP traffic, the
queuing delays will be shorter with a faster network.  On a lightly loaded
network, the difference will be hard to measure.

There is a much bigger potential problem with gigabit networks.  In the early
days, the per-packet interrupt overhead was excessive so they batched
interrupts.  That can cause delays and jitter.

Do we have a clear description (or link) for how to disable that?