More desk clutter... :-)

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Mar 23 19:43:22 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller writes:
> Hmm, very interesting data point.  That GigE is not clearly better than
> the 100BaseT is a surprise to me.

Why do you think it should be "clearly" better?  The point of the GbE is
that even when you move data around (which none of my time boxes do on a
regular basis, at least not yet) the line will be blocked for shorter
periods of time.

> Can the TikerBoard GigE do hardware PTP?

I don't think so and ethtool only report software timestamping
capabilities.  The SoC has an RGMII interface, so it would be a function
of the PHY in any case (it's a RealTek, haven't found out which yet).
However, the PTP hardware clock has been configured into the kernel
(it's no use without a clock source, so I'd at least need a PPS from
somewhere).

There's an RTC device, part of the PMIC.  Unfortunately the 32kHz XO
does not seem to be populated, not is there any option to power it via
battery.  It might have an internal (awful) oscillator.

It does also have an integrated GPS baseband block, interestingly
enough.  I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in conjunction with the
TinkerBoard (or the MiQi), although the SoC pins are shared with some
stuff that probably is available on the connector, but you'd certainly
need firmware for it to be useful.

> I look forward to your future results.

One nice thing is that it actually can be powered off from Linux.  The
rasPi shuts down, but still consumes around 110mA.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: