lfpinit() signed or unsigned?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 22 18:00:07 UTC 2017

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> If ntpd never converts an incoming l_fp to POSIX time, how will we know when
> and how much to skew the local clock?

The info you get is a delta.  The subtract is done using NTP epochs.  There
is never an explicit
"convert this l_fp in NTP epoch to time_t using POSIX epoch" so no need for
an explicit pivot.

There is an implicit assumption that the two (l_fp) times that you subtract
are in the same epoch.

The hard part is initialization.  We require that the start-time be
close-enough which means that there isn't an overflow during the subtract.