More desk clutter... :-)

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Mar 21 20:54:32 UTC 2017

Yo Achim!

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 20:44:11 +0100
Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:

> I've taken delivery of a RasPi 3B and an Asus TinkerBoard today.

Cool.

> Nothing remarkable except a bit more
> powerdraw about it otherwise (I also got one of these USB measurement
> plugs that tell you what the current voltage and current draw is).

I have found the RasPi 3B very sensitive to the USB power cable used.
So I put my USB VA meter on the RasPi end of the cable, not the PS
end.

> The TinkerBoard is even speedier, but then it also pulls a third more
> power on average than the rasPi 3B and peaks even higher.

So you can't power it with USB anymore?

Seems a bit pricey for a small bump in performance?  Especially if
you do not need the 4K video.

How well does the Ethernet port work?

> NTPsec is up and running on both, but without a refclock at the
> moment.

I'd be interested in how well it works just over the LAN with local
chimers.  The Ethernet is the weak link on the RasPi.