More desk clutter... :-)

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Mar 21 19:44:11 UTC 2017

I've taken delivery of a rasPi 3B and an Asus TinkerBoard today.

The rasPi feels surprisingly zippy compared to the 2B (and of course the
1B+), so that's good.  Nothing remarkable except a bit more powerdraw
about it otherwise (I also got one of these USB measurement plugs that
tell you what the current voltage and current draw is).  I'll have to
see how to switch off the WiFi which I don't need and of course add the
GPS.  Something for the weekend most likely.

The TinkerBoard is even speedier, but then it also pulls a third more
power on average than the rasPi 3B and peaks even higher.  The Linaro is
also Jessie based, so it works quite well out of the box w/ mostly the
same problems and tricks to solve them as for Raspbian.  It's a little
bit behind on the kernel version, but not much.  The CPU frequency
scaling is quite a bit more complex than on the RasPi, many more
frequencies to chose from and quite fast switching between those.  It
still needs to switch all four cores at the same time.  Fixed frequency
is possible to chose via cpufreq utils using governor "userspace"
easily.  It has three thermal zones, but only two deliver a temperature,
apparently CPU and GPU (they are of course very close together) and runs
around 50°C @ 1.2GHz fixed frequency with no load.

NTPsec is up and running on both, but without a refclock at the moment.

Regards,
Achim.