Future of 32 bit time_t?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Mar 14 18:45:06 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:41:44 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke at gmail.com>:
> > I question this prediction. I expect there to be plenty of
> > *newly-manufactured* 32-bit embedded systems for the indefinite
> > future, well beyond 2038. Nobody needs or wants 64 bits to control a
> > coffee pot.
>
> Yes, but how many of those will want NTP?

Most of them.  Your electronic coffee pot, electronic bed blanket, etc.
all want to know what time it is.  And we hope they run TLS, which needs
good time, so that someone (insert favorite villian here) does not
cook youu in your sleep.

On the flip side, when a RasPi zero is $5 retail qty/1 no need to worry
about compute power in the coffee pot.