Future of 32 bit time_t?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 14 02:41:44 UTC 2017

Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke at gmail.com>:
> I question this prediction. I expect there to be plenty of
> *newly-manufactured* 32-bit embedded systems for the indefinite
> future, well beyond 2038. Nobody needs or wants 64 bits to control a
> coffee pot.

Yes, but how many of those will want NTP?

Also, it may be the case that nobody needs 64 bits to control a coffee pot,
but we've already seen at least two iterations of "grossly overpowered
chips replace cheaper adequate performers in embedded" because in the
whole-system cost of devices the slight increase in BOM turns out not to
reliably dominate the benefits of having *one* target and *one* toolkit
and *one* set of development engineers - rather than two.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.