NTP time vs POSIX time

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Mar 12 01:50:18 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> The part Hal is looking at, reading the leap second file, and handing
> the data to mode6 is pretty self contained.

Excuse me, but ha ha ha ha ha.

When it comes to this codebase, "pretty self contained" is often in the
"famous last words" category.

The actual code is not so badly factored (and certainly shouldn't be
after the amount of time I spent cleaning things up), but the data
representations (things like the homebrew timestamp types) run all
through the factored pieces and are difficult to change locally without
breaking things far away.

When you get your fingers deeper into the C code, you will understand.
You won't *like* it, but you will understand.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.