NTP time vs POSIX time

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Mar 12 01:29:41 UTC 2017

> I think it would be much much simpler and cleaner if the conversion was done
> when the file is read in and all processing was done using POSIX time_t and
> POSIX epoch.  That read/convert step doesn't need any pivot logic because it
> can use 64 bit arithmetic.

I'm in favor of anything that reduces the usage scope of the NTP
homebrew types.

The main reason I haven't already moved in the direction you're
talking about is that it's an easy-to-break-stuff change and we had
higher priorities.

I approve, but I think you will discover when you start to implement
that you have pulled on a thread connected to a hairball.  Which is OK;
that's how the hairballs get cleaned up on this project, one careful
transformation at a time.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.