lfpinit() signed or unsigned?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 10 02:39:13 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
> So we are now doing modulo arithmetic.

I believe that ntpd expects to be using modular arithmetic for time.

I don't have a handy pointer to any documentation to back that up.

Most of the internal calculations are done with time represented as the
offset from the system time.

PS:

> Everything still fits.  At least until 2038. 7FFFFFFFu is 2147483647 which
> as a time_t is "Mon Jan 18 19:14:07 PST 2038".

There are two issues.
  Unix time stamps overflow 31 bits in 2038.
  NTP time stamps overflow 32 bits in 2036.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem#NTP_timestamps

It also has comments on modulo arithmetic.